Wednesday, July 17, 2013

See A Good Movie

     After a couple of years of crap at the box office, the past 12 months has turned out some fairly decent movies.  The end of 2012 is when it really started improving, with Lincoln, The Hobbit, Skyfall, The Impossible, Les Mis, and Life of Pi.  And polling my family for the remainder of this year, we're looking forward to the 2's - Anchorman 2, Thor 2, Red 2, The Hobbit 2, and The Hunger Games 2 - uh, ya, all sequels - not much in original filmmaking these days.  But seriously, can't you just hear Alicia Keys singing 'This girl is on fi-errrrrr...' while the newest Oscar winner, Jennifer Lawrence, steps out in that feathered gown...!?!?!  Ahhh!  But that's all we can do is imagine it, the song won't be in the movie.  Anyway, I haven't seen all of the flicks I mean to yet, but out of those that I have seen, here's a list RANKED VERY LOOSELY from best to worst (in my opinion of course):

42  (Excellent!  Everyone needs to see this true story of Jackie Robinson!)
G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Pretty darn good!)
Warm Bodies  (So cute!  'R' pulls off a great performance!  And I'm not even into Zombies.)
Iron Man 3  (Predictable; Cool new suit magic; but it's always nice to view Tony Stark!)
Safe Haven  (Feels much like 'Sleeping With The Enemy', but with an added twist.  by Nicholas Sparks....)
Jack The Giant Slayer  (I had no idea that was Obe Wan! So for that I give it a B+)
Man Of Steel  (Heard it was really good!  Still haven't seen it though.  Oops.)
Monsters University  (   "          "            "     )
White House Down  (Meh.  Some suspenseful moments.  Similar to 'Air Force One', but not as good. Predictable.)
Snitch  (I'm almost positive I saw this movie, but I don't remember it - hence, middle of the pack here.)
Now You See Me (Yet another movie this year that starts well, ends lame!  Stop it people! Really cool tricks though!)
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (Started out good corny funny, went downhill to the point of idiotic corny!)
Word War Z  (About as creepy as 'I Am Legend';  But Zombies got too weird and corny by the end.)
Star Trek Into Darkness (Cool start; Not their best, but worth seeing once; Honestly, I don't remember much by now.)
The Great Gatsby  (Visually stunning!  But we all know it's a sad story, so kind of hard to like.  Good acting.)
The Lone Ranger (Mix Zorro w/Indian Jones & the Temple of Doom. But just ok. I'm not familiar w/TV version, so....)
Oblivion  (Feels similar to other movie(s); Interesting concepts;  Cool vehicles!;  Not that great, but see once.)
The Internship  (The Google Movie....;  one aweful, crass, unnecessary scene that lasts way too long! But funny movie)
Oz the Great and Powerful  (Not impressed in the slightest! Awful acting! Disney done wrong, what a waste.)
The Host  (Puh-lease!;  This will be liked by romantic-dreaming teenage girls;  Interesting concept - poor execution.)
After Earth  (Aweful!  Will Smith at his worst!  Luckily he's been good in most everything else he's done.)

1 comment: